Translate

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Three Things Sales Managers Should Do

I once read, and never forgot, that a manager only has to do three things for salespeople:  
Empower me.  Direct me.  Care about me.  

Let’s take them one at a time.

1) Empower me  
Give people the space and authority to do the job.  Managers should ask themselves:  am I letting the salesperson do the work?  Or am I stepping into his/her deals regularly, because if I don’t I’m afraid they will go south?

This can be more art than science.  And managers are ultimately responsible for the fate of a company’s sales opportunities.  But if you aren’t giving them a chance to fail, you aren’t giving them a chance.

(salespeople also need to ask prospective employers:  how much autonomy will I have, i.e. will you be calling all the pitches from the dugout?)

2) Direct me
Tell salespeople what you want.  Communicate your expectations.  This can be as simple as setting a quota, but if that’s all you ask for, that’s all you should get.  

If your direction is “just win baby,” you have no right to expect, for example, ethical play; teamwork; or any number of other possible deliverables.  

3) Care
Show your people that you care about them.  Don’t just say so (praise).  Do so.  Let me count the ways:  return emails promptly; take them to lunch; or just ask them how their weekend was.  

There’s no greater motivator than letting people know that you care about them.   Even the most financially rewarded, highest achievers want to feel valued.  

No comments:

Post a Comment