Translate

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Things Salespeople Say, Volume One

“Our product is really badass.”   
Hmmm.  Probably makes sense among college buddies.  But to a Fortune 1000 CIO?  Not so much.

“You’re going to love it.”   
Positive, optimistic statements are generally good.  This one is vague.  Stick to specific benefits.

“Gartner says we’re a Leader in their Magic Quadrant.”   
This is actually important to some prospective customers.  If I walk into a BMW dealership and the salesperson tells me Consumer Reports rated the 325i among the ten most reliable, that’s a fact that can positively influence me.   

Unless, of course, I’m really interested in the BMW because it looks great.  In that case, well, I kinda wish he’d told me  “This car is badass.”

So, first thing, seek to understand.  Then speak.  

No comments:

Post a Comment